What are NoRedInk Quizzes?
Quizzes are summative assessments that can be used to evaluate student learning.
A Quiz can be assigned independently, or, if students have completed a Unit Diagnostic, a Growth Quiz can be created to automatically compare students’ results to their original assessment.
How do I assign Quizzes?
Expand one of the sections below to learn how to assign a new Quiz or a Growth Quiz.
Assign a new Quiz
1. Head to our Assignment Library by clicking “Browse and Assign” at the top of your screen and then choose "Assessment."
2. On the next screen, select the Quiz activity.
3. Choose a category to browse writing and grammar topics.
- You can use the search bar to look for a specific topics.
- You can also filter topics by recommended grade level.
4. Select the topics that you want to include in the assignment. Click "Assign Quiz" when you're done.
- We recommend choosing topics within a single skill area (Pathway) to keep your students and their data focused.
- You can check the number of topics and associated questions at the bottom of the page.
5. Finally, you'll choose which class(es) you want to receive the Quiz. You'll also set a start and due date, and create a name for your assignment.
Ready to assign? Click here to create a new Quiz from the Assignment Library!
Assign a Growth Quiz
If you’d like to compare student performance to a Unit Diagnostic or a previous quiz follow these steps:
- To assign a Growth Quiz, click the “My Assignments” at the top of your teacher dashboard.
- If you’d like to compare to the results of a previous Quiz, click “Create growth quiz.”
- If you’ve created a unit, click the “Continue Unit” button next to your most recent unit assignment and then select "Growth Quiz."
💡 What's the difference between a new Quiz and a Growth Quiz?
Unlike regular quizzes that are standalone summative assessments, Growth Quizzes are connected to an original Unit Diagnostic (assigned from within a unit cycle) or previous Quiz.
Growth Quizzes will ask the same number of questions on the same topics as in the Unit Diagnostic or Quiz, but use new questions. You will be able to compare results to see students’ progress and growth at a glance. Growth Quizzes can only be compared to assignments that it is connected to.
What do students see?
Starting the assignment
At any point during the assignment, students might come across a short tutorial explaining how to answer the following questions. They can click “Got it. I’m ready!” to see the next question.
During the assignment
- Students can come across a variety of question types. For example, some might involve clicking, highlighting, dragging and dropping, or typing.
- Submitted answers are scored right away. Students can see the number of questions left in the upper right-hand corner.
- Students do not have an option to skip questions during Quizzes.
Completing the assignment and optional remediation
- Once a student has completed the diagnostic, they will see their final score and the number of questions they got correct.
Reviewing their own results
- To view the results of their past assignments, students just need to click "Past Work" at the top while logged in to their account.
- From their Past Work page, students can view the summary of their diagnostic again, or click “View Answers” to see their answers compared to the correct answers.
Want to preview your assignment as a student?
- Once an assignment is created, you can click the eye icon on your Assignments page to preview it. For Quizzes and Diagnostics, you are also able to see Answer Keys for the assessments.
- You can also preview active assignments using the view as a student mode, which allows you to see what students in your class will experience.
How do I view student results?
Viewing your class performance
- To view the results of your quiz from your Assignments page, click on the graph icon next to the assignment. You can also click on the assignment’s name from the Student Data "Grades" tab to view the results.
Want more tips? Click here to learn about additional features you can use in your quiz results, including how to interpret growth data in Growth Quiz results.
Reviewing scores in your gradebook
- View your gradebook under the "Student Data" tab at the top of your teacher dashboard. You'll find students' scores for their assignments in the Grades tab.
- Students’ grades will only appear if they have finished the quiz. If a student has not yet started the quiz or if it is incomplete, you will not see a score.
- Quizzes are scored like traditional tests (correct answers out of total number of questions). Click here to learn more about the Gradebook symbols.
Best practices and tips
- Assign extra practice for students to help them prepare for upcoming assessments. Click here to learn about assigning practice for topics students have already mastered.
- Kick off a full unit cycle starting with a Unit Diagnostic and leverage the ability to see growth at a glance in your Growth Quiz results. Click here to learn more about creating units in NoRedInk.