On this page
What are Writing Portfolios?
Each student's Portfolio is made up of Guided Draft and Quick Write assignments that have been submitted by the student. Writing Portfolios will automatically fill up with every new submitted Guided Draft and Quick Write assignment.
All submitted assignments will appear as published within the student's Portfolio.
- Unpublished submissions are only visible to the student in their Portfolio but will not be visible to teachers until they are published.
- Students can "publish" and "un-publish" any of their submissions at any time.
- Students can also "Feature" assignments they are particularly proud of and have them front and center for teachers viewing their Portfolio.
Want to explore Writing Portfolios as a student? Check out this article showing the student experience of Writing Portfolios!
How can I view Writing Portfolios?
Writing Portfolios are not visible within Canvas or Schoology. Teachers will need to click the Student Data tab which opens a separate browser tab where NoRedInk is opened.
There are two ways to access student Portfolios, both of which begin at the Student Data page at the class level.
- Click the Writing Portfolios tab from the Student Data page, where all students in the class will be listed. You can click a name to view that student's Portfolio.
- Click a name shown under the Grades tab on the Student Data page. This will open the same student-level view showing the new Writing Portfolio tab. Clicking the tab will bring you to that student's Portfolio.
Your view of a student's Portfolio always opens by default to a filtered view of all the work the student has Featured.
If the student has no Featured work, the view simply includes all the student's published work.
You can toggle between the Featured Portfolio Pieces, Published Portfolio Pieces view, and Unpublished Portfolio Pieces view to filter submission results.
- The Featured view shows only Featured submissions.
- The Published view shows everything published to the Portfolio (Featured or not).
- The Unpublished view won't show any submissions but will alert the teacher to how many Unpublished pieces the student has and encourage them to follow up with the student if needed in order to encourage Publishing.
Click on a card to see the submission's full text. Portfolio writing submissions display in a modal showing only the text and a View More button.
- Clicking the View More button from the Portfolio writing submission modal will open the submission's original assignment view.
- This assignment view is already accessible by clicking Past Work and shows all the scores, grades, and comments saved by the teacher for each submitted draft of the assignment.
You can only access the graded view, which includes all submitted drafts using Version history if you're the teacher that originally created the assignment. If this wasn't an assignment you created, you'd only be able to view the text.
How can I print Writing Portfolio submissions?
At the class and student level, you can batch-print all Featured work or all Published work.
You can also print individual Portfolio submissions by selecting a submission card and clicking Print next to the View More button.