What are Quick Writes?
NoRedInk Quick Write assignments allow you to quickly assign your students writing prompts. As a teacher, you will have the ability to set a minimum word count and set areas of focus for your students.
How do I use Quick Writes in my classroom?
Quick Writes are ideal for a daily or weekly free response activity or to help students prepare for high-stakes testing.
Quick Writes are a lightweight exercise that make it easy to get your students writing more often while still providing students with a prompt and a few areas of focus.
If you are looking for students to workshop their writing using feedback from their peers, try assigning a Peer Review instead.
How do I assign Quick Writes?
You can assign a Quick Write by following these steps:
- From your Home page, click "Assign Work."
- Select "Writing" as the assignment type.
- Select the Quick Write option.
- Enter a prompt.
- Add focus points to give students a reminder of what they should be focusing on in their work.
- Set a minimum length. Important: students will be required to meet the minimum length to receive full credit on their assignment. Students will receive a warning before they are allowed to submit writing that does not meet the minimum word count.
- Continue on to the next step to finish creating the assignment.
How are Quick Write assignments graded?
Students will get full credit for their Quick Write if they meet the minimum word length by the due date that you specified.
If students choose to write less than the minimum length, they will get credit proportional to the length of the writing that they did produce. In other words, if a student writes 100 out of the required 150 words, then he will get a 75% on the assignment, and he will receive 75% of the points for that assignment.
Once the due date passes, any progress students have made on the assignment will be automatically submitted and visible to you, even if they haven’t clicked “Submit” yet.
Can I edit the grade that students received on their Quick Write assignment?
Yes! Once students submit their writing, you have the ability to edit their scores and leave them feedback.
To leave students feedback, follow these steps.
- From the assignment page, click the "Performance" icon next to your assignment.
- Click "View" next to the student that you would like to grade.
- Click the pencil icon to edit the student's score.
- Leave the student a comment if you would like. You can also save comments if multiple students need the same feedback!
What do my students see when I assign them a Quick Write?
When students are assigned a Quick Write, they will be taken to a screen like the one shown below. Their writing is saved automatically, and the progress bar allows students to know how far along they are toward meeting the minimum length.
Once the due date has passed, the student can view their work along with any comments that you have left for them by visiting their "Results" page.