With Text-to-Speech enabled, directions can be read aloud in most Practice topics, in prompts and passages for both Quick Writes and Guided Drafts, and in student writing while working on a Guided Draft.
Currently, just over 55% of NoRedInk topics have this feature available, and we are working on adding more.
Teachers now have the ability to enable or disable text-to-speech support for any student in their class(es)!
How to turn Text-to-Speech on
There are two ways to turn Text-to-Speech on for a student.
Manage Classes page
- Select the audio icon associated with any student on the class list.
The icon is greyed out when disabled and will turn blue when enabled.
Edit Student modal
- On the Manage Class page, select the gear icon next to the student's name.
- In the drop-down, select Edit Student.
- On the Edit Student modal, toggle the Enable text-to-speech option.
- Once toggled on, select Save changes.
Once Text-to-Speech is enabled, small text-to-speech controls (Play, Pause, Stop) will display for each student with text-to-speech enabled.
Note: Students can adjust their text-to-speech setting in their Account Settings, on the Site Preferences tab. Any change made by a student overrides whatever the current state of text-to-speech support might be.