As a teacher, you can reset student scores to allow for retakes on Quizzes and Diagnostics. Note that you cannot assign retakes for Practice assignments because Practice adds to a student's individual Mastery. You can always assign more Practice any time!
What happens when I reset a score to create a retake?
By allowing a student to retake a quiz or unit diagnostic, you will give him or her the exact same quiz again, meaning the student will see the same exact questions he or she saw before. We generally recommend this when extenuating circumstances or technological problems prevented the student from taking the quiz successfully in the first place.
Resetting a score will completely overwrite the original score, so if you need the original score for any reason, make a note of it before assigning a retake.
Note that the retake will have the same parameters as the original quiz. For example, if the due date for the original quiz has passed, students will not be able to access a retake. In this case, you would need to edit the assignment's due date before assigning a retake.
If you would like to reassess a student's work to observe any improvement (without changing any of his or her scores), we recommend assigning a growth quiz. If you like this option, see How can I create a Growth Quiz to see student progress since the Unit Diagnostic or original Quiz?
How do I reset the score to assign a retake?
To reset a student score and create a retake, you have two options: you can reset one or more student scores from the Assignments page, or you can reset an individual student's score from the Student Data page. See below for details.
Reset score for one or more students at once from the Assignments page
- Click the "Assignments" link at the top of the site.
- Click on the blue ellipsis symbol next to the appropriate assignment.
- Select "Reset student score" in the dropdown menu.
- You will then be prompted to choose which students should be given retakes.
Reset score for a single student from the Student Data page
- Click the "Student Data" link at the top of the site.
- Locate the student's grade for the assignment in question and click on the score to see the reset score option.
- You will be prompted to confirm that you want to reset the student score and give the student the same quiz.