Overview of Refresher Quizzes
Sometimes, students may have already mastered some of the content covered in a Practice assignment. This scenario can occur if students have practiced independently on the site, or if you previously assigned a pathway that had some overlapping content with the current assignment.
- If students have worked on but not mastered a topic, their progress will be saved and they'll begin at the level where they left off.
- If students have fully mastered a topic, our engine will give students a Refresher Quiz.
Refresher Quizzes ask students to prove that they are still masters of the content. Students will receive two questions per topic they had previously mastered.
- If students answer all the questions correctly, they will receive full credit for having mastered the topic.
- If students show any gaps in their understanding, our engine will provide them with additional practice based on their current level of mastery.
Note that this only applies to work from the current year—if students mastered the topic in a previous year, they'll still have to start from the beginning.
In creating Refresher Quizzes, our aim was to acknowledge previous student work while still challenging them to defend their mastery, thereby ensuring that they still get the practice they need to show that they are proficient on all topics that you have assigned.
Example of a Refresher Quiz
1. If any students have previously mastered the topic(s) that you've assigned, we'll automatically start their Practice assignment off with a Refresher Quiz.
In the example above, this student has independently practiced two topics to completion and has partially mastered two other topics. If her teacher assigns these same topics in an assigned Practice, she'll get a refresher quiz only on the topics that she has fully mastered.
When students begin their assignment, those with previously mastered topics will receive a short explanation of the work they're about to do.
2. Students will be presented with two questions on any topic they had previously mastered.
Because this student had previously mastered two topics, she is getting two questions per topic for a total quiz length of four questions.
3. On each topic, students must get both refresher quiz questions correct to preserve their mastery.
4. If students get one or more of the questions incorrect, our engine will adjust students' mastery accordingly so that they get the practice they need. Students will then return to their Practice page so that they can get to work on their assignment.